Building a DWT
The ReadMe File
General DWT Interchange Guidelines
- All DWTIG Editable Regions will be used, and will exactly match
the name as specified by the DWTIG.
- The Editable Regions will follow the
definitions as set by DWTIG
regarding region characteristics.
- Editable Regions will contain Comments ONLY (Insert, Comment).
This prevents the content from appearing on a published DWTIG
Compliant web if the Editable Region is unused by the webmaster.
- No Editable Region may be included in addition to the defined
DWTIG Editable Regions.
- No tables will be used within Editable Regions.
- No styles will be applied within Editable Regions; rather, they
must be applied outside the Editable Region.
- No styles will be applied within any <p> tag within Editable
- All formatting commands relating to fonts (font face, font
color, font size, normal/bold, etc.) will be applied either by the
theme or by an external or theme-driven style sheet.
- All DWTIG Compliant DWT packages will include the
suggested ReadMe file.
- All DWTIG Compliant DWT packages will follow the
File Structure Guidelines.
- All DWTIG Compliant DWT packages will contain a main menu
pointing to Child Pages under Home in the NON-Editable Region.
Summary of Guidelines
- The DWT will have all DWTIG defined Editable Regions, no more,
and no less.
- The ONLY content within the Editable Regions in the content
(body) portion will be the <p> tag
and the comment, used as shown below. The ONLY content within
the Editable Regions in the <head>
portion will be the meta tag or the comment.
- The DWT package will follow the File
Structure Guidelines and will include
the ReadMe file.
DWTIG Region Tags
It is imperative that the <p> tags surrounding the Editable Regions
are correctly placed to allow editing by the end user. FrontPage
2003 applies the <p> tags correctly on the first Editable Region, but if
another Editable Region is placed after the first, the <p> tags may not
be placed properly. Check your HTML source (Split Screen is
easiest) to ensure the tags are properly placed within Editable Regions
as shown below, and if they are not, adjust the HTML accordingly.
Correct Placement (example shows body1 Editable Region):
<!-- #BeginEditable "body1" -->
<p><!--webbot bot="PurpleText" PREVIEW="Main body content here" --></p>
<!-- #EndEditable -->